Besides having a desire to breath the fresh air of rural Wisconsin, Cardinal Karol Wojtyla also came to Portage County to visit a beloved religious order: Zgromadzenie Sióstr św. Feliksa z Kantalicjo (Sisters of St. Felix of Cantalice, most commonly known as the "Felician Sisters").
|St. Felix of Cantalice|
St. Felix of Cantalice
The Felician Sisters were founded by Blessed Mary Angela Truszkowska in 1855 in Warsaw, Poland and soon after in 1869 were called to move their motherhouse to Krakow. Blessed Mary Angela had a special devotion to St. Felix of Cantalice, a Capuchin Franciscan who had a particular love and attention to children. St. Felix was a personal friend of St. Philip Neri and led an active-contemplative life teaching children in Rome. Thus, she named her congregation of sisters after St. Felix and began to devote her entire life not only to the forgotten children of Poland, but also the less fortunate and homeless of the city.